The recently held Women in Transport Awards – which was collocated with the African Ports and Rail Evolution Forum – recognised, rewarded and celebrated those women in the transport industry who are achieving career success, shattering glass ceilings and opening doors for other women, together with the organisations that are supporting them to do so. This year, awards were handed out in the following five categories:
- Best Skills Contributor: Awarded to an individual who has opened their workplace to provide training, work placement opportunities, retention and employment.
- Best Women Empowerment & Transformation Programme: This award recognises and acknowledges organisations that have not only advanced women in their workplaces through training and capacity building; but have also successfully transformed corporate behaviour and practices.
- Rising Star: Awarded to an emerging individual under the age of 40 who has contributed significantly to the profession and has demonstrated exceptional leadership ability.
- Best Woman’s Skills Development Programme of the Year: Bestowed on an organisation (company, non-profit, association or government agency) that has contributed successfully in promoting development of women.
- Excellence in Leadership: This award is given to an individual who is innovating and excelling in their leadership role within the transport industry.